Can you eat candle wax?

Can you eat candle wax?


When it comes to candles, many people start worrying about the related safety issues. No wonder as burning candles can be a fire hazard in your home. Furthermore, some of us have concerns about leaving candles alone with pets or children. But when it comes to candle and children, there is another question: can you eat candle wax or is it dangerous? If you might leave candles unattended with kids, it might be useful to know whether it is safe or not. Let’s see what you need to know.

Main ingredients

To begin with, it is worth knowing what the main ingredients are in a candle. As you might know, there are different types of candle wax out there. The most common ones are paraffin, beeswax, soy, and coconut wax. Apart from the wax itself, most candles also contain certain essential or fragrance oils which should be written on the label. Lastly, colouring additives are also pretty often used. These are the main ingredients in most candles.

Luckily, on the label of the candle, you will find and see all the ingredients used as it is a basic requirement. Therefore, in case of an accident, it is always advised to take the candle with you in case you seek medical assistance. This way, it is easier to treat the person who ate candle wax.

Can you eat candle wax?

After seeing the basics, let’s talk about the health concerns. But how does this question arise in the first place? Most of the time, it is due to children playing and trying out things around themselves. As a parent, leaving your kids alone for seconds can already cause problems. Luckily, if your kid ate some candle wax, you don’t have to worry in general.

Small amount of candle wax is not dangerous at all. It is good to give the kid some water and keep an eye on any health issues occurring throughout the day, but most likely there will be no harm.

However, bigger amounts can cause intestinal blockage. This is especially true in case of paraffin wax. As you might know, paraffin wax is not natural, so compared to coconut or soy wax, it can contain more toxic compounds. Therefore, in case of bigger amounts, visit a doctor immediately. This way, all serious problems can be easily avoided. After all, it is better safe than sorry.

Lastly, you always have to keep an eye on allergic reactions. As most candles can have several additives in smaller amounts, allergic reactions can occur. It is good to be aware of it and be prepared for any allergic issues.

Altogether, in most cases, eating a small amount of candle wax shouldn’t worry you much. Apart from slight stomach issues, you are most likely safe. But just to be on the safe side, always keep you candles out of reach when you live with small children.

And if you're really not sure whether to eat candle wax, here's a list of 8 reasons why you shouldn't especially paraffin based candles which are most commonly used on the market.

  1. Not safe to eat: Candle wax is not safe to eat, as it is not a food product and is not designed to be ingested.

  2. No nutritional value: Candle wax is made of paraffin, a by-product of petroleum, and it has no nutritional value and should not be consumed.

  3. Can cause blockages: Eating candle wax can cause blockages in the digestive system, leading to discomfort and potential medical problems.

  4. Can cause allergic reactions: Some people may have an allergic reaction to the chemicals used in candle wax production, and consuming it can cause an allergic reaction in the body.

  5. Can cause toxicity: Eating candle wax can cause toxicity in the body, leading to a range of symptoms including nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain.

  6. Can cause damage to the digestive system: Consuming candle wax can cause damage to the digestive system, leading to long-term health problems.

  7. Can cause choking: Eating candle wax can cause choking, as it is not designed to be consumed and can become lodged in the throat.

  8. Not a food item: Candle wax is not a food item and should not be consumed. It is meant to be used as a fuel source for candles and should be used accordingly.