When I first started making candles in 2020 I thought this would be easy, a piece of cake... simple! Boy was I wrong in my nave pursuit of candle glory I made many mistakes, I simply thought if I melted some wax, added some fragrance oils, popped a wick in a jar - I'd be sorted.
Didn’t quite work out like that.
Cue 100’s of candles later, mountains of testing, wicks and failed experiments.
There are two options in the beginning, either buy a candle making kit and test it out or try to collect your own kit and work it out by trial and error. Both have their pros and cons.
If I was a total novice and started from scratch I’d give a candle kit a go.
Are you ready to ignite your creativity and infuse your living space with the warm, comforting glow of homemade candles? Look no further than candle making kits – the perfect starting point for both novices and experienced DIY enthusiasts. In this post, we'll dive into the enchanting world of candle making kits and discover why they are the ideal choice for your next crafting adventure.
The Magic of Candle Making Kits
Imagine having everything you need neatly packaged and ready to go, like a treasure chest of candle-making delights. That's the beauty of candle making kits. They offer you a hassle-free, all-in-one solution to create your very own hand-poured masterpieces. Here's why they are so magical:
- Convenience: Candle making kits are the epitome of convenience. They contain all the essential ingredients in just the right proportions, sparing you the guesswork. No need to hunt down individual supplies; everything is conveniently bundled together.
- Beginner-Friendly: Whether you're a seasoned crafter or a complete newbie, these kits are designed with everyone in mind. Most come with step-by-step instructions that make the candle-making process a breeze.
- Variety: Kits come in a wide array of options, from classic scents like lavender and vanilla to exotic fragrances like sea salt and driftwood. You can experiment with different scents and styles without committing to large quantities of supplies.
- Cost-Effective: Buying a kit is often more budget-friendly than purchasing all the ingredients separately. It's an excellent way to dip your toes into candle making without breaking the bank.
- Creativity with a Safety Net: Kits strike a balance between creativity and guidance. While they provide the essentials, they also leave room for customization. You can add your personal touch with colour dyes or additional fragrance if desired.
- Great Gifts: Finished candles from kits make wonderful, heartfelt gifts. They showcase your thoughtfulness and creativity, making them the perfect present for loved ones.
Choosing the Right Candle Making Kit
Now that you're eager to get started, here are a few tips to help you select the perfect candle making kit:
- Skill Level: Consider your experience level. Are you a beginner looking for an easy introduction, or are you an experienced candle maker seeking a specific challenge? Kits come in various levels of complexity to cater to all skill levels.
- Fragrance Preferences: Think about the scents that resonate with you. Kits come in a wide range of fragrances, so choose one that aligns with your preferences or piques your curiosity.
- Size and Style: Kits may offer different candle types, such as container candles, pillar candles, or votives. Pick a kit that matches the style of candles you want to create.
- Extras: Some kits include bonus items like decorative moulds, wick holders, or labels. These can enhance your candle-making experience and add an extra layer of personalization.
Candle making kits for adults
Here’s a couple of candle kits I’ve recommended to people starting.
Easy to Make, Perfect for Beginners: Included a step by step instructions, enough soy wax, candle tins and exquisite stickers, allow you to make the unique scented candle easily and enjoy the nature breath at home.
- Easy and enjoyable for all ages.
- Produces professional-looking candles.
- Complete kit for making 8 personalized candles.
- Includes clear instructions, ideal for beginners.
- Positive repeat purchases indicate satisfaction.
- Prompt delivery and well-presented packaging.
- Excellent for introducing beginners to candle making.
- Comprehensive and inclusive kit.
- Responsive seller for addressing issues.
- Packaging could be improved.
- Minor leakage of scented oils (quickly resolved).
Overall, a highly satisfying and comprehensive candle making kit with minor packaging and leakage issues promptly addressed by the seller.
A COMPLETE CANDLE MAKING KIT - Make your creativity shine! This natural full soy candle making supplies macker comes with complete candle making accessories
- Affordable: A great-priced package for new candle makers.
- Cost-Effective: Saves money compared to buying candles, and enjoyable to make.
- Efficient Wax Melting: Quickly melts wax and aids in easy pouring.
- Safer and Cleaner: Makes the wax melting and pouring process safer and cleaner.
- Ideal Starter Pack: Ideal for beginners.
- Handle Issue: The handle on the pot may come loose after a few uses.
- Safety Concern: One user reported a safety issue where the appliance stared to smoke a little.
CANDLE MAKING POTTERY KIT - A Sculpd Candle Making Kit contains everything needed for you to craft and pour your dream candle of any shape in your handmade air dry clay pot.
- Easy to Use and Lovely Packaging.
- Great Gift for Art Lovers; Satisfying and Enjoyable.
- Perfect Crafty Gift; Comprehensive and Safe for Kids.
- Fun Set with Easy-to-Follow Guide.
- Well-Put-Together and Comprehensive Kit.
- Unique Gift Idea; Nicely Packaged.
- Great Kit for Pottery Enthusiasts; Clear Instructions.
- Unique Gift Idea with Creativity and Reusability.
From what I can see... there are none, this is the perfect crafty gift for someone else or even your self!
What about making your own candle kit ?
The candle kits above are perfect for beginners but what if you wanted a bit more flexibility, lets talk about crafting your own candle kits and what you'd need.
1. Tailored to Your Preferences
When you build your own candle making kit, you have the power to tailor it to your exact preferences. You're not limited to the pre-selected scents or styles that come with commercial kits. Instead, you can choose the specific fragrances, colours, and sizes of containers that resonate with your personal taste and vision.
2. Quality Control
Crafting your own kit ensures that you have control over the quality of every component. You can select premium-grade waxes, wicks, fragrance oils, and containers, ensuring that your candles are of the highest quality. This level of control is especially valuable if you're passionate about creating candles that burn evenly and emit delightful aromas.
3. Limitless Creativity
Creating your own candle making kit allows you to unleash your creativity without constraints. You can experiment with a wide variety of wax types, such as soy, beeswax, or paraffin, to achieve different textures and scents. You're free to mix and match fragrances, colours, and even explore unique additives like dried flowers or essential oils to craft truly one-of-a-kind candles.
4. In-Depth Learning Experience
As you build your kit piece by piece, you embark on a journey of discovery. You'll learn the intricacies of each component, from understanding how different waxes affect candle texture to experimenting with various wick sizes to achieve the perfect burn. This hands-on learning experience deepens your understanding of the craft and transforms you into a candle-making connoisseur.
5. Cost Efficiency
Contrary to what you might think, creating your own kit can be cost-effective in the long run. Instead of purchasing a ready-made kit that may include items you don't need or want, you can invest your money in high-quality supplies that align with your specific candle-making goals. Over time, this approach can save you money and reduce waste.
6. Personalized Gifts and Creativity
Crafting candles piece by piece enables you to create personalized gifts that are truly special. Whether it's for birthdays, holidays, or just to show your appreciation, your custom-made candles will reflect your thoughtfulness and creativity. Plus, you can customize the labels and packaging to add a personal touch.
If you're environmentally conscious, assembling your kit allows you to make sustainable choices. You can opt for eco-friendly waxes, reusable containers, and minimize packaging waste, contributing to a greener, more sustainable candle-making process.
What you'd need for your own candle kit
Creating your own candle making kit allows for customization and flexibility. To put together a basic candle making kit, you would need the following essential components:
Wax: Choose a wax type, such as soy wax, paraffin wax, or beeswax, depending on your preference. Be sure to calculate the amount needed based on the number of candles you intend to make.
Wicks: Select appropriate wicks for your chosen wax and candle size. Wicks come in various sizes and materials, including cotton, wood, or hemp.
Fragrance Oils: Choose candle fragrance oils to add scents to your candles. These oils come in a wide range of scents, from floral to fruity to exotic.
Dyes or Pigments: If you want to add colour to your candles, you'll need candle dye chips or liquid candle dyes. These are available in various colours.
Containers: Decide on the type and size of containers you want to use for your candles. Common options include glass jars, metal tins, or moulds for pillar candles.
Double Boiler or Melting Pot: A heat-resistant container or melting pot for safely melting the wax.
Thermometer: A candle-making thermometer to monitor the wax temperature accurately.
Stirring Utensil: A stirring spoon or spatula for blending in fragrance oils and dyes.
Safety Gear: Ensure safety by having gloves and safety goggles to protect yourself from hot wax and other potential hazards.
Labels and Packaging: Create labels for your candles to personalize them. Packaging materials like boxes or bags may also be necessary if you plan to gift or sell your candles.
Instructions: Include detailed instructions on how to make the candles safely and effectively, especially if you're creating the kit for beginners.
Optional Additions: Depending on your preferences, you can include extras like wick holders, decorative additives (e.g., dried flowers), and a guidebook with candle-making tips and ideas.
Remember that the specific items you need can vary based on the type of candles you want to create and your personal preferences. Customizing your candle making kit allows you to tailor it to your unique creative vision and candle-making goals.